I was tasked with bringing an appetizer to a recent get together. I had plenty of ideas, I also had plenty of food in my fridge that needed cooking. Using this recipe from Oh My Veggies as a guideline I made up my own squash, apple, and onion flatbread. It was delicious both warm and cold. It would also make a great main course paired with a salad. I used delicata squash because that what I had on hand and because it is my favorite fall squash. It has a wonderful flavor even better than butternut and you don’t need to peel it. If you haven’t tried it before you should look for it the next time you are at the grocery store or farmers market.
I did everything in one day, but you could prep both the crust and squash, apples, and onions ahead of time. That would significantly cut down on your cooking time. The whole thing could be made a day ahead then reheated in the oven too.
Squash, Apple, and Onion Flatbread Recipe
- 1 pkg. 16oz. Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (I used Trader Joe’s Brand)
- 2 small or 1 large Delicata Squash
- 2 sweet apples (I used fuji)
- 1 large onion
- Olive Oil
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded Fontina cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (or whatever your crust says). Prepare pizza dough on pan stretching and rolling into desired shape and thickness. Lightly oil with the olive oil and par bake for 10-15 minutes until mostly cooked through. It doesn’t have to be fully cooked, just enough to keep it nice and crisp when you re-bake it with all the toppings.
- While the crust bakes chop prep the squash, apples, and onion for roasting. Seed the squash then cut into bite sized pieces. Dice the apples into bite sized piece. Quarter the onion then slice. the slices should be on the thick side so they don’t burn in the oven.
- Toss the squash, apples, and onions with oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread evenly on one or two (I needed two) baking sheets lined with foil (easy clean up).
- After the crust is done, roast for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Stirring once half way through.
- After the squash, apples, and onions are done being roasted top your crust with them and the shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes until cheese is melted and squash mix is heated through.
- Let rest for 5 minutes then cut into small appetizer sized pieces.